Monday, May 5, 2014

Dear Florence
It’s been a while between blog posts tarted up (in what some might think a rather naff conceit) to look like letters, but I am back! I have a new job, a new laptop, and quite a lot of homemade stock in the freezer, so I am happy.  

Tallboy and I have just had a brief little stay-at-home holiday. It involved a lot of naps, as well as…. Well I will be honest - it was mostly naps. I managed to squeeze in a bit of culture though - I took a solo jaunt into Chippendale to the White Rabbit Gallery. I really enjoyed it, but I found the streetscape outside and on the way just as inspiring as the artwork inside. I would like to go back in a few months and see a different collection of work. There is a hugely tall wall up one side of the staircase that stretches up three floors, and it is covered in what I assume are more permanent elements of the collection. Now that I come to think of it, this is where I found the stuff I really liked, so I suspect a return visit would be worth it.

I have now had a week back at work (exhausting!), followed by another weekend. Sunday was one of those picturesquely perfect Sydney days, where the sun was bright and the weather was mild. We went for a walk and ended up buying lunch from an utterly adorable cafe and taking it to the nearby oval to watch a baseball game. It was an afternoon of quiet little surprises and simple pleasures.

Later in the evening I christened a new cookbook by making osso bucco with green lentils. The whole apartment was filled with delicious, comforting aromas, and it tasted fantastic. I am very keen to cook some more things from the book, and when I have done this I will give it a proper review. I would write the name of the book here but I am writing this in bed and it’s really warm and cosy so I just can’t find the motivation to get up and double check the title. But it’s fabulous, trust me.

No comments:

Post a Comment